Saturday, January 9, 2010

What A Way To Start the New Decade







Honestly, I really should not complain.

We started this year, as we do most every year, in a tropical location under starry skies, fireworks, and palm trees.  After visting with friends we met last year in Argentina and making new friends in San Juan, we danced with other tourists and local Puerto Ricans in San Juan as the television crews filmed the celebration.

Like many of my friends, I was happy to bid farewell to 2009 and the tumultous decade that preceded it. 

The dot-com bust of 2000, 911, a war on terror, the housing bubble and the financial crisis were enough to give even an optimist like myself a few sleepless nights.

The decade however, was not bad on a personal level. 

I met and married the love of my life, traveled, decorated and was blessed to watch my daughter grow and still have my World War II era parents and aunt here with us. New friendships were made and thanks to modern technology, old friends, have kept me sane thoughout every crisis for the past ten years.

Now looking outside at the melting snow, I am hopeful about the coming years.

Turning thirty was a sad time for me for so many reasons, thirty-five inspired my self-improvement kick and regular visits to a plastic surgeon, but forty, now just eight months and a few days away, feels like a true celebration...a victory...an event that demands dancing!

So no complaining from me; well, except that it's cold here and I'd rather be in Mexico.  But as far as 2010 goes, I couldn't be more hopeful!

Happy New Decade!

No comments:

Post a Comment