Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Chicken Salad

This isn't your grandmother's recipe. It's inspired by my love of the ladies' lunch classic: Waldorf Salad. But in order to get my Mid Western Yankee husband to eat it, I added lots of flavor and crunch.
One things that never changes:
Use ONLY white meat for your chicken salad in the South. Anything else is considered a sacrilege, right up there with bad manners or hating the sport of football. IT'S JUST NOT DONE, HONEY.


Ingredients:
1 LB. of chicken breasts, boiled, cooled and chopped (I vary the size of my chicken pieces, just my preference)
1 1/2 cups of freshly diced celery
1/3 purple onion diced
1/2 cup salted cashew halves
1/4 cup pecan halves
2 cups fresh pineapple or 1 can of pineapple chunks drained
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries
2 bunches or 3 cups of red seedless grapes
2 cups chopped green apple with the skin tossed in lemon juice to avoid browning
1/2 jar of O'Charley's Honey Mustard Salad Dressing
3/4 bottle of Brianna's poppy Seed Salad Dressing
1 1/4 cups mayonnaise ( I used Duke's)
1/2 cup of honey (we are so fortunate that our neighbor has bees on his farm in Macon, GA-Thank you, Virgil)


Mix all the above ingredients gently and chill for at least one hour before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment