Monday, September 21, 2009

Schools Closed Today in Gwinnett

'I'm homeschooling my daughter today, although not by choice. 
 The rain that was  needed for the past two years in Atlanta is here now. 
We prayed for rain, you know.
Last year, Governor Purdue led the state on a prayer vigil for rain. I, along with every other God-fearing Georgian joined him.  Of course, the local news showed some atheist who opposed the public prayers for rain, but we paid him no attention and focused on the matter at hand. 
Our land needed divine intervention. 
Lawsuits with our neighboring states were sparked by the water shortage. We heard all sorts of interesting facts about mussels in Florida. No one really cared except a small group of environmentalists.  The phrase water rights became fighting words and a very nasty debate ensued between our Governor and his counterpart in Alabama.  Both fine Southern gentlemen, I'm sure.
Good thing the dueling pistol tradition ended long ago.
 There were wildfires in South Georgia, lakes drying up, and experts were predicting that Atlanta might run out of water.  People gave you hateful stares if your vehicle was not clearly filthy on the outside and neighbors eyed any patch of lawn with even a touch of green remaining with suspicion.  It was ugly.
Taught by both parents that God answers prayer in HIS TIME and HIS WAY, I am firmly convinced now more than ever that the teachings of my childhood were correct.
It rained.
By this spring and summer, the water restrictions were eased a bit. 
Lake levels rose. It's true that Lake Hartwell and Lake Lanier were not perfect, but they were much improved.
Cars were washed on a regular basis. My garden was revived.  Flowers bloomed. Pangs of guilt over my two hour baths  disappeared.  I stopped fretting over how much water was used as I brushed my teeth or  the number of gallons that I poured daily on the deck plants.


We haven't been wasteful of the water this year...it's been enough and we have appreciated things getting back to normal. 
Normal is always short-lived in the South.
Raindrops those first few days last week were a welcome break from the constant watering in the garden and a lower water bill was an added bonus. But the prolonged clouds and precipitation became annoying when local events were cancelled and cabin fever set in.  Tennis, golf and football games were postponed.
Today it's downright dangerous.
Newspapers are reporting that we've had between 15 to 20 inches of rain this past weekend and more is on the way.  Citizens from Acworth to Snellville are trapped in their subdivisions either because of flooding or massive sink holes. Roads are washing away. 
There was a mudslide on Hwy 78 near Hugh Howell Road.  A lake in my parent's Stone Mountain community is overflowing after its' dam broke last night. 
 One woman drowned  this morning as the road beneath her car collapsed.  Many trees, weakened by the earlier drought, are falling all over metro Atlanta, causing power outages and even more road closings.  
Schools are closed.
Here at home, I've said my prayers of thanks for the new roof we added last month. In spite of the fact that we have a service to clean our gutters on a regular basis, water is overflowing in this latest downpour.  Never, in my thirty-plus years,  have I seen this much rain.
The Mid-Western Yankee and I are considering the construction of an ark.
And the purchase of  strong anti-depressants for every member of our household; I'll never comprehend how people live with ongoing rainy weather in places like London or Seattle.
Southerners are just not designed to tolerate gloomy inclement weather for weeks and weeks on end.
My daughter, myself, and even our beloved Japanese Chin named Fuji, have been taking more naps these days.  Fuji weighs nine pounds, is deaf, hates cold weather, loves cheese and MWY more than life itself. 
The vibrations from our recent thunderstorms have scared him to death. 
He's smart. He's stubborn. He's Southern at heart and adamantly refuses to go outside in the dampness unless we bribe him with limitless treats and adoration.
My thirteen year old daughter is currently more depressed than the dog. 
Upon learning of today's school closings, her huge white smile quickly turned to a sour expression when I informed her that we would be using our time today for review of her studies on India, China, Japan, and North and South Korea.  We have a schedule of one hour study time with a half hour break every ninety minutes. 
 Needless to say, it's going to be a long day for both of us.
MWY has acquired a sore throat and is working at home this week.  He happily disappeared into his man-cave office well away from the homework war here at the kitchen table.
Thunderstorms are in the forecast for this afternoon. And with them, eight or more inches of rain.
At this rate, my dog will be psychotic, my husband will turn into a basement dwelling hermit, my daughter will hate me and I'll take up drinking in the afternoons...if we don't all get washed away first.
In the meantime, I am hoping for a patch of blue sky to appear soon.
I'll be as happy to see these rain clouds leave as I'm sure my ancestors were when they bid good-bye to the last carpetbagger to cross the state line headed back up north.
 And to quote Scarlett O'Hara...Tomorrow is another day.








No comments:

Post a Comment