Monday, March 15, 2010

Another Reason To LOVE Houston...Southampton Homes

When we were contemplating a move to Houston in 2008, I fell in love with the city
before I ever set foot there.

Perhaps it was the sleek skyline views in scenes from Urban Cowboy, or the house in Terms of Endeament with it's formal garden and perfect boxwoods, but living there appealed to me many years ago, long before I ever considered it a real possibility.  That's saying something where you take in to account the fact that I have always lived in Atlanta and never thought of moving anywhere that wasn't oceanfront property.
Houston offers something that I have never experienced in any other city.  There's a feeling there, an energy, while at the same time, a respect for the city's past. River Oaks and the highrise building both inspire me, but for different reasons.
The work of Southampton Homes is the perfect example of Houston's unique appeal.
Houston, in my mind,  was worth the move. 
 It's green and lush and huge (the fourth largest city in the nation), housing prices are fabulous and the city goes on forever thanks to toll roads and not one, but two perimeter highways.  Good schools and warmer weather...great shopping. 
What more could I ask for?
Our friend, Ed, relocated there several years ago.  He and his family love their home in the master planned community called the Woodlands.


We looked there and in Kingwood, which was originally developed for Exxon executives and is still lovely. I looked in-town and all the way north  at Bentwater on Lake Conroe. Pat is the on-site agent there and she offered  a wealth of information.


My house hunting trip was delayed a month due to Hurricane Ike and our visit to Galveston for beach property was never to happen, but we made the best of it and had a wonderful time. I found four residences; each would have been a delight to make my own with the help of Phill, my decorating gay husband, of course! Needless to say, we ended up staying in Atlanta, but if the opportunity ever presents itself for a move to Houston, I'll be the first one to start packing.

No comments:

Post a Comment